Rider Instructions – 2012 San Diego Century Bicycle Tour
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CLOSELY!
- The 2012 San Diego Century Bike Ride will be held on Saturday May 19, 2012, rain or shine.
- You must check inand pick up your bike number and course ID wristband
- FRIDAY May 18 – Revolution Bike Store, 235 S. Coast Highway 101, Solana Beach from noon to 7:00pm. Parking is available at CVS Pharmacy, one block south of Revolution.
- SATURDAY May 19 – MiraCosta College (MCC), 3333 Manchester Avenue, Cardiff (Encinitas) between 6:00am and 8:00am
- ON-LINE REGISTRATION CLOSED. Riders not yet entered will be able to late register at Revolution Bike Store on Friday noon-7pm or MCC on Saturday 6am-8am. First come, first served. Limit 1500.
- WAIVERS – All riders MUST sign two waivers at check-in before being issued a number.
5. FRIENDS AND FAMILY PICK-UP – Packets MAY be picked-up for pre-registrants if they present the following at Packet Pick-up/Registration:
a) A copy of the Drivers License of the registrant
b) Two (2) signed waivers.
6. WRISTBAND – You will receive a colored wristband when you check in. The wristband will get you into the aid stations on the course for which you have registered.
7. BIKE NUMBER – please attach bike number (self adhesive strip on back) to the top tube of your bike. The telephone number for dispatch is printed on your number.
8. ROUTE/CUE SHEET – Courses are marked with signs at all turns and major intersections. Please print a copy of the route sheet for your route and bring it with you on the ride.
Please go to the website at http://sandiegocentury.eventmediainc.com/course-maps/ to download the Course Map and Course Description/Mileage Points.
9. CAUTION! – Manchester Rd. west of I-5 (last 2 miles of course) is under construction – use caution when riding through.
10. PRE-PURCHASED CLOTHING – Pick up your order at the Merchandise Booth during registration 12-7pm on Friday or on Saturday 6am-4pm.
11. SDC T-SHIRT, JERSEY & HAT - Logoed SDC clothing will be available for purchase Friday & Saturday at
12. FINISHERS AWARD – All riders receive a medal after crossing the Finish Line.
13. TASTE THE HILLS FINISH PARTY – All registered riders who participate in the event will receive $5 in coupons for food from “Taste the Hills” gourmet food trucks. You will receive them with your medal upon finishing. Please bring extra money WITH YOU for additional food purchases and MORNING COFFEE.
14. START TIME – You may start your ride from MCC whenever you wish BETWEEN 6:00AM AND 8:00AM. IF YOU ARE RIDING FAR AND/OR SLOWLY, PLEASE START EARLY!
15. CLOSING TIMES – The course and MCC finish is CLOSED AT 6:00PM.
Aid stations along the course will close earlier:
16 mile @ 10:30am
66 mile @ 3:00pm
80 mile @ 4:00pm
Riders unable to maintain pace on the course should not expect course aid or aid stations available past these times.
16. SUPPORT – There are on-course mechanical & SAG aid as well as SAG/aid stations on course. For serious emergencies during the ride call 911, for mechanical breakdown (if race vehicle has not stopped for you) call the event dispatcher at 760-542-8709. This is an answering service and we will attend to your needs as quickly as possible.
17. BACK-UP PLAN – Please make arrangements with family/friends to be picked up if you can’t finish the ride. The ride shuttle is slow and can take a while before it reaches any given SAG stop.
18. EVENT PICTURES - Everyone receives one free photo, compliments of the San Diego County Bicycle Coalition. Check the website for photographer locations and your photo links from SuperSportsPhoto.com.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:
- This is a BIKE RIDE not a race and is held on an OPEN ROAD with motor vehicles. All riders must follow the RULES OF THE ROAD and all regulations as defined in the California vehicle code.
- Participants must follow all instructions of law enforcement and/or fire officials. All Public Safety vehicles have right of way at all times.
- All numbered riders MUST be wearing a helmet (number on front) and bike number on the course.
- We strongly suggest you bring your water bottles FULL of water/fluid as well as a cell phone.
- Use the toilets provided at the SAG Stops only, please!
- All riders must stay on the right hand side of the road, not cross the centerline and should ride single file.
- If a rider cannot continue, he/she should move to a safe place off the road and signal a race vehicle for assistance.
PLEASE RIDE SAFELY AND BE CONSIDERATE OF OTHERS
- HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY ON THE BIKE! –