Here are 12 Holiday Ride Ideas to help keep the calories in check. Our selection of ride ideas and resources provides cycling ideas for just about everyone, with a selection of organized rides in San Diego, Los Angeles and Orange County. Rain or shine, indoors or outdoors, we hope there is an idea for you this holiday season. Happy Holidays!
1. December 26-31: Hostelling International’s 400 mile Christmas ride is an exciting six day bicycle tour through the mountains, deserts, and seacoast around San Diego!
$350 early registration, or $400 day of registration.
2. January 1, 2011: Borrego Springs Century with 22 to 100 mile distances.
3. January 1, 2011: Orange County New Year’s Day Ride is a “go with the flow” event. Check out the details and join the group as they speed through Orange County.
4. January 1, 2011: Check out the easy and fun LA Brewery Ride with the crew out of the Flying Pigeon in LA.
5. Design your own California century with one of these well travelled routes.
6. Check out the San Diego County Bicycle Coalition calendar for club rides, training rides and group rides.
7. The Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition calendar will tie you into a host of LA cycling options.
8. Join the San Diego cycling group rides or create your own on Meetup.com.
9. Stay out of the rain with Stationary Cycling Classes at the San Diego Trek Bicycle Superstores in Vista and La Mesa.
10. Socalcycling.com has a great set of group ride options for Southern California.
11. Put your Garmin to use finding more routes, friends and a little competition at Strava.com, wherever you are in the world this holiday season.
12. Can your cell phone, smartphone, iPhone, Android or BlackBerry do more than you thought it could? We think you’ll say “YES!” if you check out Endomondo.com for new routes and a way to connect with more riding friends everywhere there’s a road or trail.
Have more ideas? Please leave a comment and share them with us!